9.07.2007

Writer's Lab #1

Q: Describe getting a Christmas tree with your family as a child. How did you decorate it, when did you put it up, take it down, etc.

A: Well, this one is hard to answer. In my family, we didn't celebrate Christmas very often. Only about once a year, or so. We didn't have any special, traditional means in selecting a tree. We'd usually just go to the temporary tree store in the K-Mart parking lot.

I did enjoy decorating the tree. I remember using those lights with the big bulbs. Do they sell those anymore? Those kind of lights are probably a major fire hazard. That's probably why we stopped using them after burning down the tree twice in three years.

Every year Mom would buy a new set of ornaments to add to the collection. I never quite understood the severed Santa Claus heads, but, hey, we all have different tastes.

One year, I think, we tried to use the fake snow out of a can on the tree. Now, if those bulgy lights aren't a fire hazard, then fake snow is DEFINITELY sort of a fire hazard. And it most assuredly was fake snow. It didn't even sound or smell like real snow.

I enjoyed sitting alone in the living room, with all the lights out except those from the tree. It always reminded me of the year before, sitting alone, with all the lights out except those from the tree.

The tree came down on New Year's Day. Just like the wall came down on New Year's Day. That must have been one happy day for East Germans. Like ten years of Christmases all wrapped into one. Wait, I was talking about New Year's. No, wait, I was talking about trees. Wait! I wasn't talking at all. This word processor is not voice activated.

2 comments:

Jim Jiminy said...

I look forward to reading more. Thanks a lot, Professor!

Lord Procurator of the Lunatic Fringe said...

Don't forget the story you told me one Christmas in the days of yore not too long ago about the time that Santa went homicidal. I don't think that would be a good idea for a children's book, however. Though I did like the part with the shootout with the police!